Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Random Comic Showcase Ep #026 You Never Know Where You'll Find a Comic Book Part 1

Welcome to the 26th Episode of Random Comic Showcase, the Podcast where I look at some other element of comics or geek culture that doesn't fall into the normal format of any of my other shows on the feed. This time out, I have 2 episodes for you in this one blog post, dedicated to some random comic finds and the joy they brought me. As my buddy Shag Matthews always says, you have to "find your comic book joy," and for me personally, there's no better way to do that than assorted grab bags of comics, especially when they yield relatively self contained "one-and-done" stories. I was surprised to come across random assorted comic 4-packs at Walmart the other day, picked a couple up, and found a number of assorted gems inside, including West Coast Avengers #18, by Steve Englehart, Al Milgrom, and Joe Sinnott. It was a glorious fun romp! What a fun & exciting action packed comic! The West Coast Avengers team get time displaced to the 1870's Old West where they team-up with Two-Gun Kid, Rawhide Kid, and Night (Ghost) Rider. 
This takes me back to being a kid, where I would find quite the assortment of random comics at garage sales, on the newsstand, or in comic 4-packs similar to these I've been finding at Wal Mart. You never know what you're going to get out of these mystery bags, but it's a blast diving in and finding a random single issue story be so much fun!
So give these episodes a listen, in Part 1 I talk all about my find, and open 3 packs on-air and reflect briefly on some of the contents. In both episodes I reflect & reminisce on collecting comics in my youth, and the fun nostalgic trip that these comics took me back on. I'm grinning ear to ear as I open these comics, and have had a blast sampling this random assortment of Marvel comics from the 1980's and 1990's.
As always, you can listen to the podcast by subscribing to the King-Size Comics Giant-Size Fun Podcast Feed on iTunes, or by downloading the episodes directly here:RCS Ep #026 You Never Know Where You'll Find a Comic Book Part 1


During this first episode I mention the fantastic podcast "90's Comic Retrial" by my pal Nathaniel Wayne, part of the Council of Geeks network of content. I was pleased to be a recent guest of Nathaniel's, on an episode that is yet to be released, but odds are if these episodes and the comics discussed in it strike a nostalgic chord with you, you'll love the content of his show, that as the name implies, covers comics from the 90's. Check it out here:90's Comic Retrial Podcast


Thank you so much for listening, feedback can be left here at the blogpost, on the King-Size Comics Giant-Size Fun Facebook Page, by sending me a tweet at the Twitter handle @KyleBenning_Art, or by emailing me at kylebenning41@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment